Monday, May 09, 2005
EQ2 Expansion - Who'da Thunk?
A couple things caught my attention:
Players of all classes can collect new creatures and pit them against each other in special arenas in the newly discovered city of Maj’Dul.
Arena champions: Take the form of new exotic creatures, or fight as yourself, in battles for glory against other creatures or players.
Overall, though, it sounds like the same old typical boring crap. Take a look at the list of key features and see if any of these things aside from arena combat sound even remotely interesting:
- Arena champions: Take the form of new exotic creatures, or fight as yourself, in battles for glory against other creatures or players.
- New movement: Search for treasure and find adventure in new areas by climbing up and down walls for the first time in an MMO.
- Voice-over emotes: Express yourself in a battle or expand your social circle with new voice emotes.
- Guild vaults: Share the loot of a hard won battle with the rest of your guild members.
- Level range increase: Now play up to level 60!
- New land: Discover over a dozen new zones and epic encounters.
- New creatures: Test your combat skills in battles with over 40 new fearsome creatures.
It's really depressing. At least the idea of wall-climing ogres has potential comedy value. I'll be taking a look at it when I go to E3 next week (unless, like they did with EQ2, they hide it in shame), but my expectations are very low.
The same press release mentioned the second adventure pack, which is $8 instead of the $5 they charged for the first one. It's worth it, though, because this one "leads players through a series of event-based zones by using moveable planks, crates, and barrels." No word on whether the gravity gun will be a quest reward or a loot item.